Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Schedule Type: Full-time (more than 30 hours/week)
Hours: 8 AM to 5 PM
A Phlebotomist performs venipuncture and skin punctures on patients according to phlebotomy protocol to obtain suitable specimens for accurate clinical results for patient diagnosis.
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities
* Performs phlebotomy and skin punctures and receives other biological fluids for clinical testing using established protocols to assure accurate patient diagnostic results.
* Collects specimens through proper handling protocol to ensure viability of patient specimens, as well as accurate clinical results.
* Communicates with patients and/or clients using established protocol to relay an understanding of the phlebotomy and/or testing process.
* Performs clerical duties to receive, identify, accession, and process specimens using established protocols to facilitate timely and accurate test performance.
* Performs waived testing as dictated by the Tennessee Medical Licensing Board and/or CLIA.
* Adheres to \"Good Laboratory Practices\" for waived testing including, but not limited to, Quality Control, record keeping, equipment maintenance, etc. Follows kit manufacturer's instructions on the package insert.
* Contributes to cost containment by appropriate utilization of supplies and accurate documentation of billing information.
* Performs related accountabilities/responsibilities as required or directed
Qualifications and Education Requirements
High School diploma or equivalent. Training as acquired in an approved Phlebotomy training program. Basic computer and telephone skills necessary.
Knowledge and experience performing phlebotomy and skin punctures as normally acquired through a minimum of six (6) months experience.
Licensure, Registration, Certification
ASCP Certification Preferred. Valid driver's license and ability to meet insurance company requirements.
Work requires the ability to perform phlebotomy, including standing, sitting, bending, and grasping. Lifting or performing other work requiring light physical exertion (up to 30 pounds) is intermittent (not a routine part of the job) and secondary to the job.
Work involves continuous exposure to unpleasant working conditions or undesirable elements, may involve exposure to a variety of elements which are potentially hazardous or harmful which require exercise of well-defined precautions for protection from injury or illness.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Memphis Pathology Laboratory
American Esoteric Laboratories (AEL), formerly Memphis Pathology Laboratory, is a community-based leader in clinical laboratory medicine dedicated to provide quality care, innovative solutions, and personal service. AEL has serviced the medical community for more than 50 years with a strong presence throughout the Mid-South encompassing Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Associated topics: blood lab, blood processor, outreach, pct, phleb, phlebotomist, phlebotomy, pool, psts, specimen